Monday, August 15, 2011

Why Are You Talking Like That?

Dear Bride,  
Why do you talk to me so formally? 
When you speak to me you get real serious and somber, and its not at all like the way you talk to your friends and family. One last thing my love, why do you speak to me in Elizabethian English? It's sort of weird. 
I love you, just be yourself around me.  
Love, Jesus


A dear friend of mine posted this as his facebook status. I don't know if everyone grew up hearing prayers like this, full of Thee's and Though's and Thine's and unnecessary th endings, but a lot of us did. Maybe you pray this way. I'm not poking fun, I'm not telling anyone how to pray, I'm just sharing a thought. 


I've been told that praying like this is a way of showing respect to God, and I believe we need to respect our sovereign Lord. No one is more deserving of our respect! Jesus began His model prayer with Respect for God (Matt. 6:9). But do we need to make our prayers Shakespeare?


Jesus died for us, to take away our sins, to justify and purify us, and tome make us the sons and daughters God deserves. His sacrifice gives us the ability to come boldly before the throne of mercy (Heb. 4:16) and cry Abba (Hebrew for daddy), Father). 

God tells us over and over to come to Him with our needs and our desires. Talk to God as you would a father. Be real with God. Don't show up before God like its prom and show yourself all clean shaven in a tux when He sees you all shaggy and real, you're not fooling God! Be respectful, but be yourself. Open up your heart to the Lord. Don't be fearful as if you were before a king who would behead you over the slightest offense, but talk to the Father who knows and cares. When is the last time you talked to God? Really talked to Him? Some times we have no idea what to ask, but read the Psalms and you will find that David often just laid his case before the Lord. If you don't know what to ask for, just take time to talk to God about what you are going through. He was patient with Job, with Moses, with Abraham, and with David, and they all came before God at time because they had no idea what was going on.

Make prayer a constant part of your life, make it personal, make it meaningful, make it habit. Pray as if Jesus was right there with you, holding you, because, after all, He is. If that doesn't change the way you think about prayer, I don't know what will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment